The winds have certainly changed! As a gCypriot who voted right consistently (abstained last time consciously, knowing that Christofias would be favored as he had a healthy lead in the polls, unsure whether I wanted a staunch communist for my 'Economist in Chief'), I STRONGLY believe that Christofias is the ideal captain to navigate the ship in these truly historical times we live through.
His task is not easy as he needs to:
- heed the cry for help from the tCypriot community without compromising the essence of a just solution;
- put at ease the fears of "his" right in that he will not negotiate away the prosperity of the Cyprus Republic and its functionality;
- genuinely refrain from any act that might be interpreted as exploiting tCypriots for the benefit of a lopsided or gCypriot controlled Cyprus Republic
- instill the confidence in tCypriots that their potential leap of faith would be met in a manner deserving of proud Cypriots, without making promises he can't keep
- exploit the admittedly favorable international climate to make it impossible for Turkey to justify the continuation of her presence in Cyprus;
- be the leader to manage the transition into the new era, of a Cyprus of the Cypriots, by the Cypriots, for the Cypriots (thank you Abraham).
I believe you Dimitri. And I believe that tCypriots believe you too. That's the easy part. The hard part is for you to prove our faith has been well placed.
I am gathering quotes that have signaled/signal the WINDS OF CHANGE, such as Merkel's, the German ambassador's, Erdogan's admission of no authority over the army (Wikileaked), 'the RoC is invulnerable' by Turkish official (Wikileaked also) etc. If you can think of others please let me know. I will post on my blog as 'Cypriot Winds of Change - The Proof in Quotes'. Thank you.