Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Makarios: 'We offer an olive branch, but we will never offer earth and water' (Video: 3:42min)

Clip of Cyprus' president, Archbishop Makarios, speaking in the aftermath of the Turkish invasion of the island, from Michalis Cacoyiannis' film, Attila 74: the Rape of Cyprus. As well as defiantly telling the Turks that Cyprus will never submit to it, Makarios also explains what Turkey's long-standing Cyprus policy consists of: 'It's unheard of. 18% of a population claiming the right to manipulate the fate of the other 82%. In other countries, minorities struggle for equal rights. The Turkish minority in Cyprus is trying by force of arms to have not only equal rights but to dictate the destiny of the whole island.'

All Time Popular Posts

Last 7 Days Popular Posts


Turkey's Kurds & Cyprus' tCypriots

As either unitary state or federation solutions are discussed as replacements to Cyprus' 1960 and Turkey's 1923 unworkable constitutions, should we abide by "if a right is a right too many for Turkey's Kurdish community (circa 23% of population) then that right is a right too many for Cyprus' tCypriot community too (circa 15%), and vice versa." Is the adoption of this fair logic the catalyst to securing just solutions for both UN countries.